Thursday, March 25, 2010

deck repair




So I spend the winter removing the teak decks off BYE ALL, now that they are gone I ran a moisture meter over the core to see what I really had. I found alot of wet wood so I took the ol skillsaw and opened up the top layer or 1/8 inch glass. I found teak hardwood blocks about 4 inches sq. A few peices of plywood too. First I thought I could dry it out, so I put some fans on the decks and about 1 wk later not much improvement. If it was a balsa core it would probably have been rotten, but the end grain balsa would dry much faster then side grain teak. I purchased a 105C kit from midwest supply (5gal of west system) and last night I started with removing some core on the port side by the aft trunk. Ive spoke with Tom H. quiet a bit at Gougeon Brothers. He had many helpful ideas for this project. Im going to buy some half inch ply from home depot and cut it into 4 inch blocks and us the 105/205 with some 406 for bonding the new core to the existing layer of glass. after that I will rebond the top layer of 1/8 inch glass to the new core and do a 12:1 to make a strong structrual bond on the top later of the glass. I will follow up with a single layer of 15oz biaxial cloth and then paint nonskid.

here are a few photos of what ive been doing

No comments:

Post a Comment